Read80Trace generates an XML file as its result and a series of HTML files that can be used to view the XML file. I've updated ClearTrace so it can produce a nearly identical XML file for SQL Server 2005 traces.
- It only generates the batch duration, batch CPU, batch reads and batch writes sections. I don't know if other people use other sections but those are the only ones I use.
- It doesn't include the related HTML files. You'll need to pull those from the Read80Trace download. My advice is to run Read80Trace once to generate the files. Then you can run ClearTrace and send the output to the directory where those files are stored.
- There's still very limited error handling.
- It only imports into the table layout included in the zip file. This layout hasn't changed since the last release.
- It allows a wildcard for the file name to import multiple trace files. It imports those files in the order they were last written.
Download the latest vesion.
UPDATE: Since posting this I've added a GUI to query the results. It's much easier to use than this method.