Setting up a separate web site for automatic error reports in FogBUGZ

That has to be most cumbersome title I've ever used but it describes what I'm doing.  We recently started using FogBUGZ for our bug and inquiry tracking for a couple of applications we've developed.  We're running it on a server behind a firewall.  FogBUGZ gives you a way for your application to automatically submit any untrapped errors through a special ASP page.  Instead of trying to make just that ASP page available through our firewall I wanted to create web site with only that page.  It turned out to be a little more complicated than I thought but it works great now.  Here's what I did:


First, I created a new folder called websubmit in C:\Program Files\FogBUGZ.  This is right next to the default FogBUGZ web site which is cleverly called “website“.


Second, I copied the following files to that directory:


adovbs.inc
CArea.asp
CAreaList.asp
CBug.asp
CBugEvent.asp
CBugEventList.asp
CBugList.asp
CBugScoutInfo.asp
CCategory.asp
CCategoryList.asp
CCVSList.asp
CDuplicates.asp
CFileUpload.asp
CFilter.asp
CFilterList.asp
CFixFor.asp
CFixForList.asp
CMailbox.asp
CMailboxList.asp
CPerson.asp
CPersonList.asp
CPriority.asp
CPriorityList.asp
CProject.asp
CProjectList.asp
CSiteConfiguration.asp
CStatus.asp
CStatusList.asp
dbUpgrade.asp
dlg.asp
icons.asp
lang.asp
langfunc.asp
preheader.asp
scoutsample.html
scoutSubmit.asp
util.asp


Scoutsample.html is a sample HTML file for testing bug submission to scoutSubmit.asp.  Delete it when you're done testing.


Third, I created a web site for the new directory.  I changed it to use the same login as the main FogBUGZ web site.  Choose Directory Security -> Anonymous Authentication -> Edit and change the user for anonymous access to whatever the regular web site uses.


Fourth, I created a new registry key to for the database login.  I exported the registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Fog Creek Software\FogBUGZ\C:/Program Files/FogBUGZ/website.  I removed the subkey information for Dispatcho at the bottom and updated the key to be the path to my new directory (i.e. replaced website with websubmit).  I reimported this back into the registry.


After a quick test using scoutsample.html everything is working fine.  Now I can make this site public and be reasonbly safe against people getting into my bug database.


(See the related post for FogBugz 4.0)